With all the hear say that is surrounding the Kentucky basketball opening and John Calipari, some other recent hires in college basketball have been overshadowed. One in particular is the news from another SEC school, Alabama, hiring former VCU head coach, Anthony Grant. I have been following Anthony Grant and his teams at VCU ever since they beat Duke in the first round of the NCAA tournament a couple years ago. I was extremely impressed with his coaching style and philosophy and his relationships with his players. Below are some comments from his press conference as he was introduced to the media as the next head coach at Alabama...
Why he chose Alabama?
- He knew and understood the history, tradition and success of the Alabama athletic program.
- The most important thing in having the ability to be successful is the people. He was impressed with the leadership and passion for the university that surrounds Alabama.
- "You want to be significant...you want to make a difference. At Alabama, we are in a position to do that." That was Anthony's conversation with his 13-year old son on why he chose to take the position.
His thoughts on people referring to Alabama as a "football school":
- "Alabama is a football school. Alabama is a basketball school. Alabama is a gymnastics school. Alabama is a baseball school. Every sport at Alabama is givent the commitment and the resources to be successful. Each sport is provided the opportuntiy to compete for championships."
- Style of play encompasses what everbody is looking for...fun for the fans to watch, fun for the players to play, allows to attract recruits. It's a winning style.
- Vision is to play for championships
- No one will work harder and be more dedicated to make sure that a product is put on the floor, a product that will be recognized on campus and in the community, that people will be proud of...with the way the university is represented.
- Committment to winning- The biggest thing is to make sure players are provided the resources to being successful.
- Recruitment- comes down to establish relationships and buidling trust
- Players will know that the coaches and staff will care about them, will want the best for them, will push them to become all that they can become on and off the court. Players will have the opportunity for thier dreams to come true...play for championships and fulfill their personal goals and dreams.
- Coaching style is aggressive on both sides of the floor. Attack offensively and defensively.