Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Congratulations Coach Dawkins!


Former Duke Associate Head Coach, Johnny Dawkins has been named the new head coach at Stanford University. Congratulations and good luck! Here are some quotes from coach Dawkins' press conference:



April 28, 2008
Jaquish & Kenninger Director of Athletics Bob Bowlsby
Opening Comments"Thank you everyone; appreciate the wonderful turnout. We have lots of our staff and friends from the university here. It's a great day for us. We are very excited for the start of the Johnny Dawkins era at Stanford. As we began this process, we were certainly looking for someone that was a great fit at Stanford University. A coach, an educator, a community citizen. Someone of high integrity and with a high level of expectations, and the energy for the task. Even with all those traits, you also have to have somebody who has had the requisite experiences to bring it all together and produce something that is extra special. It is a daunting task. Many times when one takes over a program, it is because there was a change in coaches and the program was down. That certainly is not the case at Stanford, so the fit was even more important. As soon as we began visiting with Coach Dawkins, it became apparent that he fit hand and glove at Stanford University."
"Last Friday, Johnny and Tracy came all the way across the country on relatively short notice to talk with us about the head basketball job at Stanford University. They caught a very early flight, flew all day and because Johnny had commitments back in Raleigh at an event where he was being honored, he made darn sure that he got back there in time so he didn't foul up their plans. He then turned around and came back to Phoenix to undertake his role on Sunday as one of our United States Olympic coaches that will take the team to Beijing. So to say that he's had a bit of a whirlwind would probably be an understatement and it sure hasn't been a whole lot better for Tracy. We're glad to have the whole family here and welcome to Stanford."
"As I mentioned from the outset, fit is really an important thing at Stanford. Johnny, Tracy and their family are wonderful additions. It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you the Anne and Tony Joseph Director of Men's Basketball Johnny Dawkins."



Anne and Tony Joseph Director of Men's Basketball Johnny Dawkins
Opening Comments"I am really thankful for the opportunity that has been presented to me by Stanford University. For me, as such an elite program athletically and academically, this could not be better. I want to thank my family, as they are here to share this moment with me. You don't get anywhere by yourself, so their support has been greatly appreciated and we're going to do something special here. I also would like to thank our athletics director Bob Bowlsby, as well as our President John Hennessy, for providing me with this opportunity." "In doing so, I would also like to pass on some thanks to Duke University and coach Krzyzewski for mentoring me and bringing me along as a young player, as a coach and now moving on to a head coaching position. For us to do something special here and continue with the standards of excellence that Stanford has started and have been around for years, it takes ownership from everyone."
"The one thing I believe is that this is our program, it's not Johnny Dawkins' basketball program. It's our program, and you only do things special when we are all in it together. And I would like to continue that because I know from watching everyone here and spending time with guys this week, how close everyone is and how much of a family atmosphere exists. I'm excited to be a part of it."
"As I huddled together with the players today, it was pretty special because we put our hands up and I was anxious to see what they were going to say. Guys say a lot of different things, like `together' and whatever you may say. And we put our hands in and they said, `coach we have a saying that we already use.' So I said, `well let me hear what it is guys.' And I said `on three', and they said `family.' That's what I have sensed ever since I stepped foot on this campus- a wonderful family. I couldn't be more happy and thankful for the opportunity that you guys have presented me."
On his first contact with Stanford"I was contacted last week and in doing so, I was very excited to hear from them. I have always admired the program and when I received word that they were interested in speaking with me, I tried to make it happen as soon as I possibly could...For me it was exciting because I have always had strong feelings about the university."
Once the job was offered, how long did you think about it?"Actually when the job was offered, my wife was with me. So I looked at her and asked how she felt about it and she felt very good. So I would say about 10 minutes (everyone laughs). That may be too long."
On what interests you about Stanford"There are a lot of similarities between where I have been and where I am now. I think Stanford is one of the best schools in the world. I think the school I just left is one of the best schools in the world. There are a lot of things that mirror what I was already involved with, so I felt very comfortable and knew it would be a great fit if I ever had an opportunity to come out here and coach the team."
On his coaching style"I believe in an up-tempo game. I believe in man-to-man defense. I believe in an offense that is predicated on good ball movement and player movement. Some semblance of the motion offense, along with some sets. I have been fortunate to be around a lot of great coaches and the thing that I have learned over the years is you have to fit your system to your personnel. As we go forward and we understand exactly what our personnel is, we will devise a system and scheme that will suit our players and give our guys the best opportunity to be successful."
On his most important priorities in the weeks ahead"One was to meet with the team, which I was able to do today. We had the opportunity to meet and start scheduling meetings, as well as individual work sessions. Part two of that for us right now is that I have to get on the road briefly. The (recruiting) period ends on Wednesday. I will leave tonight and be on the road for a few more days until the period ends. When I return, we will have individual player meetings where we can get to know each other a little better. It's a very exciting time."
On the process of assembling a coaching staff"I would like to take some time and do my homework and make good decisions. The recruiting period will end Wednesday, so that will give me some time to settle down and make some observations, evaluate some guys and determine which direction we are going to go in."
On running a program for the first time in his career"Well I no longer make suggestions, I'm now a decision-maker (everyone laughs). So life has changed. There will be a number of things that pop up that I don't expect at the moment. But you know what, that's part of the process. That's part of the growth you go through. I think I'm prepared for it, as I have worked with Coach Krzyzewski for over a decade. I've also played for or worked with some of the greatest coaches to play this game. So I have a real good feeling from that regard and am excited about the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead."
On Coach Krzyzewski's reaction when he heard the news"He was excited and very happy for me. He hugged me. It was a special moment. I was with him in Phoenix, meeting with USA Basketball, and he hugged me on the way out the door again. He said `go get them, it's your time.' He was excited for me."
On whether he is still planning to go to Beijing (Dawkins is concluding a three-year stint as Player Personnel Director for the USA Basketball Senior National Team that runs from 2006-08)"As of now, I am still planning to go to Beijing. Timing is a factor there but I had a three-year commitment with them prior to everything. There is no higher honor in my book than working for your country's team and trying to bring the gold medal back to the United States. It's a priority so I am excited about that opportunity."
On his impressions of the Pac-10 during the 2007-08 campaign"The Pac-10 is a great conference. It's very, very competitive and this year was no exception. I thought there were a number of teams that played extremely well. Of course, UCLA has had an amazing run. Teams are tough and we have to be prepared for that. Those are some of the things we talked about when I met with the players."
On what else he discussed in his brief meeting with the team"I talked with the guys about the things that help define what we want to do. That includes always having integrity as a student-athlete and as a program. We talked about trusting one another, because for us to do anything good, we have to know that we are telling each other the truth. We have to be very, very competitive- individually and collectively- so we can pull the best out of each other. That's something I will demand we do on a daily basis. If we can follow those three things, I think we can go to sleep at night knowing we are always putting our best foot forward."

No comments: