Thursday, August 28, 2008

Blogging the Journey: For the Love of the Game!


Proud to be a Mounty! I will be starting my first year as an assistant coach at the college level with Mount Aloysisus College. As we begin the journey for the 08-09 season I will be "blogging the journey" towards our team goal of reaching the AMC playoffs. For the first time in our 3 year existance as a D3 school, we are now eligible to make the playoffs.
Previously, my experience has been working with players at the junior high, JV and Varsity levels, so this is an exciting new experience for me. It's been somewhat of a change for me to get used to not having any contact with the players during the off-seasons for conditioning and individual player development. Due to NCAA rules, coaches can not have any contact with their players on the court until the official start of practice opens in mid-October. For the past 7 years, my summers and early falls have been filled with summer leagues, camps and open gyms on a regular basis. This has been quite refreshing from a family perspective, having the spring, summer and early fall to be at home with my family, which is priority #1. However, we will be busy getting out during the off-season to recruit new players for our program. One difference between D3 and the other NCAA divisions I and II is that in D3, you can recruit all year long, there are no down periods for recruiting.


It's funny how things play out sometimes. After being so disappointed about not getting a head coaching position at the varsity level and closing the chapter on my coaching time at Windber, another door opened immediatly. This new chapter in my coaching career has provided me with the opportunity to do something that I have always wanted to do...coach at the college level. Ultimately, I still have a desire to be a head coach and run my own program. However, this is a huge step to the next level that could potentially lead me to a head coaching position at the college level. Needless to say, I am refreshed with a new attitude and enthusiasm and ready to get back on the court teaching the fundamentals and the game of basketball with a talented coach and group of players who are here for one reason...for the LOVE OF THE GAME.

No comments: